Saturday, January 30, 2010
1. "Picking Up Interference" - Trenchmouth - The Broadcasting System [Skene!]
2. "Paris 1919" - John Cale - Paris 1919 [Elektra]
3. "My Baby's Taking Me Home" - Sparks - L'il Beethoven
4. "Kray Twins" - Renegade Soundwave - RSW 97-95
5. "The Number Song" - DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
6. "Eric B. Is President" - Eric B. and Rakim - Paid in Full
7. "Wall Street" - Jackie Mittoo - The Keyboard King at Studio One
8. "Luminous Carcass Ornament" - Daniel Higgs - Atomic Yggdrasil Tarot [Thrill Jockey]
9. "I Am A Poor Wayfaring Stranger" - Almeda Riddle - Southern Journey Vol. 4: Brethren We Have Met Again [Smithsonian Folkways]
10. "Laminated Cat" - Loose Fur - Loose Fur [Drag City]
11. "I Am Born to Preach the Gospel" - Washington Phillips - Key to the Kingdom
12. "Werewolf Song" - Michael Hurley - Blueberry Wine [Smithsonian Folkways]
13. "The Last Word in Lonesome is Me" - Roger Miller - King of the Road
14. "Alexander II (Theme from Shaft)" - Horst Jankowski - Black Forest Explosion
15. "Black Steel (Acapella mix)" - Tricky - Maxinquaye
16. "Regicide" - Matmos - The Civil War [Matador]
17. "My Soul is a Witness" - Unknown - Negro Religious Field Recordings from Mississippi and Lousiana
18. "Il Duce" - Big Black - Il Duce 7"
19. "(It Won't Be Long) And I'll Be Hatin You" - Johnny Paycheck - Greatest Hits
20. "Cloak and Dagger" - Tommy McCook and Upsetters - Cloak and Dagger
21. "Sun Was High (So Was I)" - Best Coast
22. "Daydreaming So Early" - On Fillmore - Extended Vacation [Dead Oceans: 2009]
23. "Imagine That" - Patsy Cline - The Definitive Collection
24. "Be With Me Jesus" - Angola Quartet - Country Spirituals
25. "Always Fade" - Low - Drums and Guns [Sub Pop]
26. "Treefingers" - Radiohead - Kid A
27. "The Mermaid Song" - Bascom Lamar Lunsford - Ballads, Banjo Tunes and Sacred Songs of Western North Carolina
28. "Interference" - Trenchmouth - The Broadcasting System [Skene]
65. Voices from Possessed Children (Okkulte Stimmen. Recordings of Unseen Intelligences 1905-2007. 3xCD)
(I originally acquired this recording from the Allegory of Allergies blog. Go check it out.)
multiple values Typically rhythmic-melodic speech in a hebephrenic schizophrenic; Ecstatically emotive artificial language in a chronic paranoid; Sonorous artificial language (Schizophrenia); Sitting with 'Betty', rec. London, 1987
"The steak Diane s'il vous plait, Phillipe"
"I'm not a doctor, but I play one at recess. Many people play doctor at home, but nothing can take the place of a real doctor's advice."
"I told them they should get a divorce. It's been my opinion that they should have gotten divorced years ago. Why can't they think about the post traumatic stress syndrome."
"I realized at a very young age that
"It became glaringly obvious to me at a very young age that
"I knew from a very young age that I was to be
"Of course I want him to stay here, but I don't really know the protocol for a middle-aged man who a) doesn't know who I am anymore or is willfully ignoring the fact that he DOES know me; and b) when he DOES seem to know who I am, calls me 'Lieutenant.' Building a fort out of sofa cushions, that's great... when I do it. But when Dad barricades himself in his room, I don't know what to do. There it is: I don't know what to do. So I have to be an adult. All that on top of math homework, yeah, I am at the end of my rope."
multiple values Glossolalia - prophecies, Pentecost community, USA, 1960s; Glossolalia - Pentecostal Church, Oklahoma, USA 1980s
"* # Enter the R-2 Prime Cup's Master Ball division (you have to beat the first three divisions first).
# Assemble a team that contains a Pikachu that does not yet know Surf. You HAVE to use a Pikachu from your Game Boy game. You cannot unlock Surfing Pikachu using a Rental Pokmon.
# Do not register your team! Pick it directly from your Game Boy cartridge.
# You now have to beat the Prime Cup's Master Ball division using a three-Pokmon team that always contains Pikachu. Pikachu has to be in every one of the eight battles, but it doesn't actually have to battle.
# You are not allowed to use any continues. If you do, you won't get Surfing Pikachu. "
"TM 01 - Mega Punch
TM 02 - Razor Wind
TM 03 - Swords Dance
TM 04 - Whirlwind
TM 05 - Mega Kick
TM 06 - Toxic
TM 07 - Horn Drill
TM 08 - Body Slam
TM 09 - Take-Down
TM 10 - Double-Edge
TM 11 - BubbleBeam
TM 12 - Water Gun
TM 13 - Ice Beam
TM 14 - Blizzard
TM 15 - Hyper Beam
TM 16 - Pay Day
TM 17 - Submission
TM 18 - Counter
TM 19 - Seismic Toss
TM 20 - Rage" ...
[list continues for another ten pages - ed.]
multiple values Voices from possessed children I January 1978; Possessed children II, February 1978; Exorcism carried out on Anneliese M______, Germany 1976; Rita G____ as 'Russell', rec. Leicester, England 18.11.1983
"This is an important time for me, and I'm sorry, but I need to be selfish right now."
"Holla atcha boy on Facebook."
"Why *can't* I?"
"I just want to look young. If that means I have one facial expression a day, it's no skin off my ass. Anyway, skin off my ass, that's a different procedure. When I look young, I feel young."
"better off without me fucking things up, I always loved you and this is better than me
"So I tried the hot yoga, the Bikram stuff, for like a week and I still couldn't quit smoking so I'm signing up for this thing in Costa Rica where they put you in a coma for a week, two weeks and... No, I checked, the guy has a degree. And when you wake up you're past the whole thing and I'm going to ask if it might help with my co-dependancy as well. I mean, what's a couple of weeks in Nod if it can fix my
The loss of ; children being adults, adults being children.
"Wretched self-interest quickly dispels all the chimeras of the national will."
"The antipathy disappeared and turned into a completely exalted condition."
"A catechism with unctuous Solomon-like language the words of which rise gently like a dove chirp! chirp! to the regions of pathos and thunder-like aspects."
"All the dilettantism of thirty-five years of neglect."
Sunday, January 24, 2010
(impossible without Brunner)
the babies came at dawn, on their quiet padded feet. i woke up and looked out the bay window, weak coffee in hand. i saw them. they saw me. the coffee cup fell to the foor, in slow motion, shattering, over and over again. john williams.
what is it, cremins.
no shit, 'babies.'
i don't know if i can shoot a baby, sir.
well, i think you just point the gun and pull the trigger but i'm no expert, cremins, i've only been in the fucking army for seventeen years.
cremins, when they come up on you you better shoot.
they're babies, sir.
babies... yeah, they're babies. they are babies, cremins.
the ride was worse than he imagined. he never thought he would run over a baby, and not a dozen every block. not in the minivan, which he and carol (carol... i hope...) had bought when they were expecting.
expecting. he never expected this.
parson looked up from the floor with one eye, the other one a bloody rose of gore. the babies didn't notice. they were oddly quiet, sucking on their pacifiers. like a fucking anne geddes picture... one gurgled contendedly and rolled on his back. slowly, he removed the pacifier.
it wasn't a pacifier. it was a finger.
parson screamed and then he felt little bodies start to land on him, flump flump flump flump...
moscowicz wiped sweat from his eyes. it was hotter than hell here in the mainframe room, but it was hotter out there, where the babies were. if he could just download the RAM into the mainframe, he could...
oh god, he whispered.
what is it? said sasha.
fucking... jesus, he said.
the mainframe screen lit up with the face of a jolly baby. "ah ah ah! ga ga ga! ah ah ah! gah gah gah!" it said. moscowicz heard a rising whine.
get out, sasha!
the room exploded.
sweating in the janitorial closet. my heart bursting through my ears. try to breathe quietly. but i'm safe. i know i am. cause they can't open the door. they can't open the door. they can't...
i looked at the handle. it was jiggling.
i stood up and looked through the small window. a pyramid of babies. roly poly. deadly. and on top, a baby teetering, reaching for the handle. only the fact that his hands were slick with blood kept him from getting a grip.
the baby hit the ground the same time i did, but got up just a little faster, motherfucker bounced, looks like. next i know the motherfucker has a knee to my throat and he's riding me like a bronco. stephanie, i thought. stephanie. i tried, honey.